At Intellectual Property, you are part of a global team with the responsibility for all intellectual property matters worldwide. As a dynamic part of the company, we work closely with Research and Development, Strategic Product Planning, Marketing, Purchasing, and the Legal Department. We operate in a challenging international business environment where you will find excellent opportunities to grow as a professional. If you want to reach your personal goals together with other people, Intellectual Property is the place for you to prosper.
IP is a global support function providing IP support to all companies and business units within the company, including but not limited to IP aspects connected to patents, trademarks, design, copyright, R&D agreements, purchase agreements as well as other commercial agreements. IP is also in charge of developing and maintaining the companies IP portfolio and to handle all conflicts relating to IP within the company.
Besides providing IP advice in specific matters IP offers training and is engaged in developing polices, instructions, guidelines as well as other tools, which can be used throughout the organization. IP’s objectives are to develop an IP portfolio that support Volvo Cars overall business objectives and to provide support and advice that adds value, protects the interest and minimizes legal risks within the IP area.
As a Patent Attorney, you will be independently responsible and handle most aspects of an assigned part of the IP portfolio relating to patents and technology. You will communicate with stakeholders within the organisation as well as external parties such as outside counsel and governmental entities. As a Patent Attorney, you will assure that the assigned patent portfolio is managed in accordance with set strategies and provide the organisation with support within the patent area. This involves clearance searches, research and advice in complex patent matters, including but not limited to database searches, invention analysis, patent application drafting/reviewing, document and contract drafting, negotiation with external parties, portfolio management and supervision of external advisors providing support in such matters. Furthermore, you will handle most matters independently and assume the full responsibility in relevant parts of the business organisation. As a Patent Attorney, you will also support the IP team in large, complex matters, which may involve interaction with top management. Finally, the job involves providing internal patent training to the organisation and you will be engaged in the development of tools and templates and communication material.
- Engineering degree and, preferably, a European or USPTO qualification.
- Minimum 2-4 years of experience in the patent profession at an outside counsel firm and/or in-house (holding an associate or regular patent attorney position)
- Sufficient experience and knowledge of relevant areas to handle the key responsibilities.
- Fluent in English, and preferably other (e.g., German) languages.
Functional knowledge and experience
- Possesses sufficient knowledge and experience in relevant areas to handle the key responsibilities
- Proven basic understanding of the business, the business strategies and goals along with a basic financial understanding and awareness, and how they affect IP.
- Proven interest in and ability to find areas of improvements and drive change within the patent area.
- Proven analytical skills and experienced in making decision, developing solutions or judgments within patent area.
- Able to provide the organization with independent patent advice and. Shall in such matters need no or limited supervision and guidance from more experienced colleagues.
- Experienced enough to assume the full responsibility in relation to at least middle management in relevant parts of the business organisation.
- Able to plan and organise his/her work within the framework and time set by relevant stakeholders, with supervision/control from time to time by a senior patent attorney or the manager.
Other competencies (business, people, communication etc.)
We believe you are an outgoing person with integrity, accountability and commitment. You are a team player with a service-oriented mind set. You have proven communication skills with the ability to engage, influence and convince others and to act as project leader with the responsibility for the patent aspects of minor projects. Furthermore, we believe you have a sound business acumen and ability to translate IP advice to a recommendation helpful for the business. Finally, we thinks you have the ability to develop IP solutions, which drive business outcomes in the context of global guidelines and monetization strategies.